Sunday 21 June 2009

Yndi Halda / Snowbird at Union Chapel



As promised, pics from the Yndi Halda show at the Union Chapel. I didn't really get any good shots of Paul Marshall (RIP), but got a handful of decent ones of the main turn, Canterbujry's finest, Yndi Halda and a few of Snowbird too.
The Snowbird support was by far the better of the two, with all the songs having a warm and soft vibe and lyrics using country wildlife (white mice, foxes and owls) as metaphors. Their record is now eagerly anticipated by me, and I'll keep you up to speed on that when I have it.



From what I could make out of the new Yndi songs, there is more of the same deep instrumental depth as you'd expect, and they rocked out very hard towards the end. No setlist, but I did hear We flood empty lakes in there half way through. And the handchime moment, where the band took turns in ringing out the chimes reminded me of school music lessons, and had me grinning like an idiot. They're looking like the best post-rock band in Britain, with the possible exception of Mogwai. The new album is very nearly ready to emerge. When it does watch the 5 star reviews fly in.




No comments: